365 Days

Well, it looks like the count down to Samantha's own graduation begins. 365 more days and I'll be sitting in the stands with hundreds of other parents and friends and family to watch my eldest kid walk across that ol magical stage. Walking up the steps of high school adolescence, crossing the bridge that separates and walking down the steps to the beginning of real adulthood. Along the way to this, picking up the "paper" that makes it all so.

I just came back from picking William up from his last day as a sixth grader and my mind was just in a whirl of thought. Not only will my first born be graduating this time next year but I realised that this was the last time I'll take or pick up either of my two kids from kindergarten thru 6th grade. No more firsts of walking them hand in hand, looking both ways as we cross the street to take that first big step at a new school or a new grade. No more firsts of walking them in and letting them take me to meet the new teacher that will help shape them for years to come. No more firsts of getting halfway out of the parking lot only to have one or the other child drop my hand and go on alone. Totally scared but showing courage to do it themselves. No more firsts as I cry in my car on the way to work as I realise my once babies are coming into their own. Realising that I am not the center of their world as much. Realising that with every grade passed my hand has to let go of theirs just a little bit more. So many firsts, no more...

By the time Sam hit Kindergarten she already had an air about her of Independence. An individual to be reckoned with while Will gladly squeezed my hand, allowing me once again to smile and guide him slowly through things that he was unsure or scared of. As the kids have both grown, all I've seen in the last 17+ years is change. Sam struggling, with me making many phone calls to teachers, counselors and principals up until she hit high school and then taking the bull by the horn and off she went. Making A's and B's like she's done it all her life with flying colors and a mischievous smile on her face. Will on the other hand was an ace at school. Having a few bumpy starts and even a few more setbacks. I can say that at least Sam stayed consistant through out the years. She was either failing dramatically or acing everything with bells on. Will still has 6 more years but just watching him walking to the truck today with his head held high and a smug smile on his face makes me feel so proud, yet sad. I've been on Facebook reading how all the moms think this is all bittersweet. Their own kids graduating and all the things that will be missed. I still have, God willing, more firsts to come and Sam isn't walking that stage just yet. But, I still feel that a few chapters of life closing. For me at least.

I also realise that with Sam graduating next year things will still constantly change. Thankful that at least for another year order and routine will be my best friends. After graduation we will all start a new chapter right along with Sam. I see this through witnessing Tim's own experience with Ty as Ty flew off in the wild blew yonder to be an Airman. Jumping miles and skipping so many states. I sometimes wonder what Tim is thinking. And yes, from a fathers point of view on letting go. I never ask though. Some things that we feel, even shared feelings, we all have our own unique inner private feelings about things that really can never be explained aloud. Just experienced.

I look forward to both kids growing up, being happy, getting the emotional and financial security they need, grand babies and just living and loving it all. I CAN wait on the grand baby part...at LEAST another good 10 years. Then, I'll get to experience new firsts. Through them. I don't want to know what mom and dad feel at this point in their lives about all of this. Them having already gone through what we are now. Weird, yes but I look forward to it all and yet I'm not ready to take that step just yet.

                                                          
I have 365 days until Sam opens a new door in her life. Until then I will live these coming days with clarity, slowness and HOPEFULLY a lot more patience.

Comments

Dawn said…
Hard to believe that Sam will be graduating. Doesn't seem possible in a year she will be. I am sure it will be a year of ups and downs. I hope more ups !!

Beautiful kids inside and out !! :)

Oh, I am blogging again. Here you can find me: http://alphabeticallyincorrect.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend !! :)
Donna said…
You Don't want to Know from me and your Dad??? Well, here it is Anyway....for You, the Best is yet to be....
I'd do it All again, just to have You....
Mammy
Sally said…
I'm crying.

Really.

Love you all.
Sally said…
Okay, I'm back. :)

Crystal, you are such a good mom; I know no one has to tell you this. But, you always amaze me with your insight about most everything especially where your children are concerned. They are very blessed to have such a wonderful, loving mom.

Those firsts? They're so sweet, and the good news; as long as we have a functioning mind the memories stay with us forever. I'm so glad you're putting all these thoughts in your writings.

Brittney is going through another first with Hunter; you know she's graduating from kindergarten next week.

Well, Hunter decided that she wanted to try on one of her mom's dresses. Britt didn't realize the "purpose" of trying on the dress and helped her; made it fit you know by tying a knot in the back, etc. The dress has all kinds of sparkles; the things little girls like, and went to the FLOOR. Of course Britt and Matt told her how cute she looked; and Hunt was preening. That's when they found out she wanted to wear that dress to graduation. OMG!!!! That poor child had to be talked to VERY GENTLY so her feelings wouldn't be hurt while at the same time explaining that a 6 y/o doesn't wear a "ladie's cocktail dress" to kindergarten graduation. LOL

I LOVE hearing about all the firsts from you young mom's.

((hugs))

Popular Posts