Cheating Politicians

Well, I normally come up with my own post titles but when uploading the Internet this morning BAM, there it was. Politicians ranging from Helen Chenoweth to John Edwards have cheated on their spouses, often to the detriment of their families and their careers.

Mark Souder, an Indiana Republican, is among the most recent to admit to an affair. He resigned from Congress after reports of his tryst with a part-time staffer came to light. Souder has been married to his wife, Diane, since 1974 and they have three children; he has apologized.

This was a little snippet of the article that I read. 36 years and 3 kids later..he apologized...*_*.. Something wrong with that ending. Just saying. My views on cheaters is somewhat jaded. Dealing with lots of experience in this area it's extremely hard not to judge. So, I try not to. Whether it be cocky, self absorbed politicians or the average Joe or Jane, cheating is just wrong in my opinion. That's not to say that there aren't people out there that try to rationalize why they do it so it doesn't look so bad or even try to pick it apart so they can say that they "technically" didn't cheat. Well, I call bullshit on any excuse or dreamt up theory.

Now, there has, are and always will be debates over what is technically considered to be cheating. Is cheating classified by the person that just looks and fantasizes, looking and taking it a step further and speaking, taking it a step further and befriending in some way, and or going the ultimate step in crossing the line in having sexual contact. Me personally? I don't care if it's rubbing, kissing, exchanging phone numbers, emails, facebook or myspace pages or whatever else. Cheating is cheating. Doesn't matter what box you put it in with a pretty pink bow. It just is. I'll just say this and be done with it..If u have a significant other and u meet other people, if it's on the up and up, that significant other should be able to hear u speak of or even be able to meet anyone u cross paths with.

It goes back to my whole theory on integrity. It's a noun by the way. And I even looked up the definition. Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. I even found two quotes. The first one:

Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.

I guess if you don't have courage, you won't say no and therefore won't face the truth or do the right thing because it's right. It's called being selfish. We more times than not think of only ourselves. Anyone else hurt by our actions be damned. Oh, and we like to deal with the consequences later..

The other quote is a simple one that has more affect on me. Simply put:

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

I could go on and on about this subject. It's a subject that both enrages me and continually keeps me wondering the why of it. And believe me, I have a pretty open mind about LOTS of things but I just don't get it. If people have these secretive needs to boost ego's, challenge or push invisible limits why put others at risk? Go jump off a cliff or sky dive without a parachute to really challenge themselves. If people feel the need to turn secretive while sharing a life with others take the flipping time to let go of the ones in ur life so they can be happy in the end. Me? I look at it this way. If you don't love me, can't live without sharing your life with just me on that special intimate level and want to go chase tail half your age with triple D boobs and 4 inch stiletto's go right ahead. I'll pat you on the back and walk quicker than a kid on a free shopping spree at Toys R Us. And yep, it may hurt like the dickens. U put a lot of faith, hope and trust into someone just to be let down but come on. You haven't found the right person yet. It's not the end of YOUR happy ever after. It's just the "coming to an end" of only one little chapter in your life. Period.

I'm sitting here just spilling my opinions and writing a novel but I haven't yet said what I've learned from my experiences with this topic. I've learned that it takes a great deal of time, energy and emotion to be with just one person. It takes extreme love, devotion and patience. It takes commitment and communication. And a lot of laughter.

I've met so many wrong people in my life. I think we all have. I've been hurt more times that it's reached that numb level. But, when the right person came into my life by way of a "lil lost dog" I learned to change things that I could have worked harder at dealing with ALL my past relationships lost. Whether they be friends or other. We don't fight, we discuss. Sometimes yes, we have weird looks on our faces while talking, lol! We don't yell. I refuse to spend time listening or doing the irritating act of it. Waste of bloody time and it only allows you to run in circles and never get anywhere but where you began. No name calling. Period. Now, that's not to say that I don't call him some funny name or just be my regular smart assed self when playing around. It's called picking your battles with care. I'd much rather see my guy with a smile on his face for me calling him an ass when he jumps out and scares me than an angered face for me calling him the same name for him not doing whatever and me reacting negatively to it.

The end result is this. Take the time to think about who you are with. If they make you laugh and smile more times than not there's no sense in looking elsewhere. If you do have someone like that though, appreciate them every chance you get and don't sweat the small stuff. Each life is way too short and precious to be unhappy. If your the one that hurts? Shame on you and karma is a mean little bitch that will pay you a visit. If your the one that gets hurt be patient with yourself and never think that you are beneath anyone. Get up, dust yourself off and don't look back. There's no sense in it. Pain is behind you, don't bring it into your future. It never goes well when trying to move on and grow stronger than you were before...

Comments

jenn said…
You know how I feel about cheaters...we have talked about this in the past...so I have nothing to say there.

Junior and I are still going to therapy, and in most sessions we end up talking about how strong a couple we are. Our therapist always asks us if we know why, and we usually say it's because we know how to laugh...at each other, with each other, and at ourselves. Life is way to short to fight about the things that aren't going to change (like him leaving wet towels on the couch every day when he leaves for work) or to look for happiness with other people. We love each other, and that has pulled us through some pretty tough times (as you well know).

As usual, you are right on with everything you said.
Jeanette said…
I told my husband from the get go that I would be true to him and if he ever cheated on me there would be no second chance! Pretty strong words for a 20-year-old but I guess it worked because we have been married for 33 years! Sounds like you found your soul mate this time!
Donna said…
me and daddy are Tight...Oh Yeah!
:O]
Crystal said…
Jenn, I think it's awesome that yall are still going to therapy! Shows a lot about u 2 wanting to become "more" than what u were before going. I have to say though if Tim and I ever had to go it would consist of nothing but who ate who's chocolate and WHY we can't get past it, lol!! All joking aside though, So glad yall are doing so well :)

Jeanette, CONGRATS to you both!! Being in a relationship with the right person can be SO MUCH fun!!! 33 years?? I hope to one day say that about mine ;) Thanks for sharing girl!

Mom, yeah..U's TIGHT alright...LOLOLOL!!! DORK!
JunieRose2005 said…
Well, C. and I just had our 49th. anniversary....not to say there haven't been some rough times for us...but we've always come through them.

For me...after a VERY early first- short-disastrous marriage at age 17 (lasted less than a year) in which I experienced every kind of mental/physical abuse - and constant cheating and lies...made me determined to get things right when I married C. 3 years later!


We DO have fun together-always have- but our mutual love for our family has been a big part of our closeness! The kids and grands have been our life!

So far...I think it's working out for Charles and me...:)


Junie
Crystal said…
Junie, THAT'S AWESOME!!! Congrats to the both of u. I like to think that even though we all share similar things being happily married that we individually all have something that no one else does. Only U and ur Charles knows what that is just like Tim and I and so forth. Did that just sound confusing?? Lol!

In this day and age it is so hard to be in relationships. There's so much outside noise that can so easily interfere. I like to think that we have one of those strong relationships that will hold strong and true:)
JunieRose2005 said…
Crystal says:

"Cheating is cheating. Doesn't matter what box you put it in with a pretty pink bow. It just is. I'll just say this and be done with it..If u have a significant other and u meet other people, if it's on the up and up, that significant other should be able to hear u speak of or even be able to meet anyone u cross paths with."

Crystal,

The above impressed me more than any other part of your post! I have always felt the very same way, and so many people don't see it that way at all.

I am always skeptical when people refer to someone of the opposite sex as 'my best friend.' Because...although one party may see it as only friendship- the OTHER often sees it as more...and a friendship can and usually does evolve into something more- no matter how good the intentions may be in the beginning. There will always be physical attraction on one side or the other. IMHO-

And-I can't imagine that anyone I know or who I have ever known would be happy having their partner involved in a close friendship like this.

Online friendships can be a danger to couples!

:) just my opinion and hope I'm not offending anyone.

Junie
Crystal said…
Junie, U are not offending at all. I look forward to any and all opinions on anything that I write on here. It always interests me to learn others feelings about things!!!
Sally said…
Very interesting, Crystal! I really can't comment much as I haven't had long lasting relationships.

I do have to comment on Junie's comment - my mom's best friend was also my dad's bff. That's just the way it was; and my dad had no problem whatsoever; he'd even tell her to call H and get his opinion. But, I do think the world has evolved in more jealousy, discontentment, etc than ever before.

Okay, now I have to say this: While I was reading~it reminded me of Hunter today. She was playing on my computer and I asked her a question to which she replied "I know almost everything". (4 yr old brat) Then she proceeded to say "Like boys and girls~it's easy, MeMaw, you hug, then you kiss, then you get mareweed. The end, except yeah you shove rings on your fingers."

bye bye :)
Crystal said…
Lol, Sally girl she is a MESS!!! Sounds like she has it pretty accurate! No drama just gettin right down to it, lol!!!
JunieRose2005 said…
Crystal
and
Sally,

LOL- OK- I didn't mean that you can't have friends of the opposite sex....but-whereas a woman could have a girlfriend she might spend a lot of time with...shopping etc...and not cause a problem in her marriage-I think it would be quite different to expect to have the same freedom with another guy-other than your husband-and where your husband was not included. So- in that sense I could never have a guy who I considered a 'Best Friend' and of course my husband would not have a female 'best friend.' That's the way it is with us and always has been-for 49 years.

Am I weird in this?? I really wanna know? :)

Junie Rose

Popular Posts