Two Wolves

An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life . .

He said to them, "A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One wolf is evil---he is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good ---he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

They thought about it for a minute, and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win, Grandfather?"

The Elder simply replied, "The one you feed."


Ever since someone sent this to me in an email, i've always loved it. The meaning is just that profound in my head and heart. I really wish people would pay more attention to what and how they say things. Words alone, hurt. Add the emotion behind the words and it wounds. Believe me, I don't single myself out of this one saying that I don't speak in anger. I do and that is the one main thing a greatly dislike about myself.

I've found that the hard things are just that, hard. Hard to deal with, hard to change. But, if I can try and yes, sometimes fail, but if I can try to think about this and apply it why can't other's? Just a little venting going on over here. Makes ya just sit back and go, " Hmmmm...." ;o)

Comments

jenn said…
I've never heard that before...it's so true, and a great way of explaining things.
Jenny said…
Great analogy. So true. I too deal daily with anger issues. I read a quote the other day that resonated with me: "Life is like trying to lick honey off a thorn." LOL we all know how it feels. One day at a time, dear Crystal. You're doing better than you think.
Donna said…
hummmmmmm.....
mammy
Dawn said…
Hmmmmm!! Thanks for sharing !!
Sally said…
Some days are easier than others, but you're right; at least we can "try", and when we do it makes all the difference.

Hope you have a wonderful day and happy weekend. :)
Crystal said…
Mom, dork ;)

JenniferW, sometimes it's hard to keep it day to day and just "flow", lol!

Dawn, ur welcome!!

Sally Girl, Tell me about it. And that dang full moon ain't helpin, lol! You too!!!!
Jeanette said…
Great words of wisdom! It's so much easier sometimes to just feed the bad wolf. Thanks for sharing.
P.S. Happy Birthday!

Popular Posts