Mother's and Daughter's

Some of them can be best friends, mortal enemies or just "call when you need something" type relationships. Mine with my mom? Crazy fun, irritating as hell, unconditional love, laughter, compassion and on and on.

Mom and I have a pretty good relationship. Yes, we both get on each other's last nerve sometimes but for the most part we get along just fine. It hasn't always been like this though. Growing up as a teen you want to be as far away from authority as possible but when growing up and going through what life throws at you she was always there ready to listen, give advice, help in some way or just to get on my nerves. Some things just never change, do they;o)

I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, having a mother like mine. Of coarse, looking back I see a lot of similarities between us as far as raising kids. But, I also see some differences too. The world is always evolving and change is just a part of it all. I guess that would be a good reason for seeing the differences between us. Mom didn't have to deal with texting or Ipods, fake nails and hair coloring. Clothes that cost more than your first born or the more relaxed non-caring attitude of today's kids.

Looking back when I thought things were just so tough, I see that they really weren't. I made things difficult for myself by the choices I made. I guess we could have had a better relationship back then and I'm not saying that we didn't. I just didn't feel as close to her then as I do now. Why? Who knows, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Comments

Jenny said…
Funny ... I was just talking to my soon-to-be-30 daughter about the way my generation feels younger folks just don't "get it" .... but, LOL, my folks thought the same thing about us. I guess there's something to that generation gap thing! All I know for sure is, it's wonderful and rewarding to be both a mother and a daughter. From the little I know about you and your darling mom, you're keepers from the word go. Love you both! *kisskiss*
jenn said…
Awww, you and your mom are special indeed. You know I love you both! I have that kind of relationship with my mom, and I really do hope that my girls will have the same with me someday. I mean, as they get older...well, you know what I mean! lol!
Sally said…
I was listening last night to Britt and Patti - they love to "get" on each other's nerves. But, then they laugh & laugh. It does my heart good to know they have such a great relationship. I didn't have that with mine, but I did have a lot of respect for her.

You & your mom crack me up! Ya'll are both so precious. :)
Donna said…
You're not Suppose to be "buddies" with your kids when you're trying to teach them about the life around them. I was never close to My Mom but I REALLY wanted to be...so I learned, up close and personal, what I would Not do, to and for, My daughter. Don't get me wrong...she Always fought to defend her kids no matter What, but since She lacked love when growing up, she learned too late, how to show it.
If you love someone...NEVER assume they know it...TELL them...SHOW them...
You & I had the relationship we were Suppose to have at the time...Now, it's a different one...and in another 10 yrs, it will be different yet...but the Love will Never be different...
xxoo
mammy

Popular Posts