Highs and Lows

Ah, the highs and lows of life. Isn't it funny that when people have their lives the way they think it needs to go they are on top of the world but when situations arise that can't be figured out or dealt with the sky comes crashing down around them? Well, I say this but some people take things either better or worse and their ways of thinking can also be this way.

I guess for me I kind of ride the fence. When life is good I live, love and laugh to the fullest and when I have low days I still try but since those pesky problems come into play it's harder to concentrate solely on happiness. Or is it?

I've known people in my life that it didn't mater if the world was burning down all around them. They still had a smile and sweet spirit. And, I've also known the opposite of this. People that freak out oh lordy somebody please make it stop I'm DYING here and then take as many people down with them as they can grab. Like I said, I ride the fence on both of these.

Take today, life is amazing. I'm smiling, feel great and thinking wonderful happy thoughts. Last week. Not so much. I tried putting on a happy face and just going with things but when u've never dealt with certain issues before I know that I get a little reserved.

Sam, my 15 year old daughter, is living with her dad this summer. First time ever and they've not been close. She left last Friday and that whole week all these things were going through my head. It was a choice that she made, for whatever reason. I let her as to not push her away and also so she could see if life on the other side was any different than what she had already.

The point is is that when the bad stuff hits we all deal with things differently but is it really SO hard to stay in that "happy place"? I know that I have a loving family that will help me through things with or without me asking. Heck, my hubby can sense when some thing's wrong even when I'm trying like hell not to come across that I'm not at my best. I told him recently that I needed to work harder on my "poker face" and he said that wasn't a good idea. Nothing gets fixed that way and lines of communication are shut down. I think he's got the right idea;o)

I think it helps having a solid and good family base but I've known people to have the messed up families that don't get along and they're still truckin...smiles and all. So what is it then? What makes anyone reading this stay happy even while weathering storms?

Comments

jenn said…
Laughter. That the key around here. Even when everyone is worrying about something, or stressing, we do something fun, and end up laughing instead of worrying.

Therapy also helps! lol!

I am kind of shocked that Sam wanted to go live with the ex. From what I've learned about your situation the past couple of years, he doesn't seem like he'd be too interested in this arrangement. I guess, in a way, this is a good thing. If Junior and I ever split (which hopefully will never happen) I really want the kids to continue their relationship with him. Maybe Sam being there will force the ex into being the parent he really needs to be. Lord knows you've played mom and dad long enough. (you rocked at it too, BTW)
Donna said…
Mamma always said give 'em wings and they'll fly home...This is just another lesson for her to learn, on This side of Heaven...You'll Always be her first true love, just like...you're mine...

"If you're walking through Hell, just keep walking."
Winston Churchill
hughugs
Mammy
Crystal said…
Jenn, we have A LOT of that around our house too. Man, looking back it's seems unreal too. I just met a friend of mine for lunch and Tim stopped by. It's a good feeling that when someone walks thru the door they're there to see u. Just watching him sometimes and thinking about how lucky i've been having him in my life..it still gives me butterflies ;o)

As for Sam and her dad, I think they've both realised a lot of the last few years. They're both head strong but hopefully this will help heal any past issues and they can begin to move forward. I think it's a good thing for the both of them and because of this hopefully it will help her look at her relationships at home a little more differently and appreciate more what and who she has in her life. Hopefully:)

Mammy, U just so darn smart! Now, answer the question I asked! How do YOU stay in ur happy place?!
Donna said…
Kissel...you DO Not need to know that but I Think it involves chipped ice and whipped cream...

By Just Doing it Girl!
You make choices in this life...either to be Happy or to be po'ed...Your Choice.
Think about it, Happiness is actually Harder to attain than sadness...So I just don't think about it...I Just Do It...period.
See? Smiling now.. ;o)
Sally said…
Like Jenn, I wondered about Sami going to her dad's for the summer. But, I hope she has a great time.

As for staying in a happy place, I try when things are tough, to find "something" to smile about (the operative word try). As you know, we've had some trying times of late, but I'm SO thankful these days no one can wipe my smile away. I just won't allow it. :)
Jenny said…
I read once that we see the world not as it is, but as we are. That makes sense to me. The battleground is in our mind! I don't believe in "acting" like I feel in a way that I actually don't feel, but I do believe in the value of that old adage "fake it to make it" ... as in, if you don't feel like smiling but put on a smile anyway, you may make someone else feel better, which will make you feel better, and before you know it, you may forget why you didn't want to smile in the first place! Ripples! Dominoes! I'm out of metaphors! LOLOLOL *grin*

Popular Posts