Plastic Surgery

Yes, this is a subject that is taboo but is becoming more the norm. On the other hand, people don't generally bring it up in social discussions, saving it to discuss later with close friends like it's some dirty little secret. I don't see it that way but I'm pretty open minded about a lot of taboo subjects.

I've always thought about it. After having children that is. Before that I never would have contemplated changing anything. I was fine on how I looked. And if I needed to lose or tone it was easily remedied by laying off the bad food and hitting the gym a few times a week. Now though, that isn't the case. Many of you remember me stating that with the birth of my daughter that started the bodily change I became so unhappy with. My body just refused to go through all the changes that go along with being pregnant and I found myself changing in all the ways and more a woman can. Weight gain, medical problems, emotional problems. I was going through it all.

Starting out at 108 and then ending at over 200 pounds on a 5'2" frame does some serious physical and psychological damage. How we perceive ourselves and how we think others perceive us. We can all SAY that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. That if they don't like what they see they don't have to look. I call bullshit on that one. Even if it is in secret, it does matter what others think. What most don't understand though is that there are some people that are more important to us than others and it's those opinions we secretly want.

As most of you know I am happily married to a wonderful man that loves me just the way I am. Oh I imagine if he had a magic wand he would change a few things about me. My obsession with chocolate when eating healthy, my weird questions that I just bust out with at the oddest moments, my dorkism..just to name a few. He tells me all the time how beautiful I am and I just melt. But, when looking in the mirror after a shower or getting ready to head out the door, I see something that he doesn't. I understand our perception of ourselves is extremely cynical compared to what others think. It's just the ways of things in my opinion. When we look at ourselves we see the imperfections that on a daily basis we think about wanting to change. Stretch marks, saggy skin and all that can't be fixed by hitting the gym 7 days a week and by eating healthy. Believe me, I've tried. So what now do I do?

Oh, I could live with it. Go with the seasons like I already do. During the summer months I look for longer shorts to cover the stretch marks on my upper legs and make sure that the shirt is long enough to where if I bend over nothing is visible. Buy bathing suits that cover my chest enough to uplift what little I have while covering my stomach to hide lose skin and stretch marks. All the while when out and about on cruises or the lake or where ever I'm always making sure things are in place so not to freak anyone out. And yes, even staying away from the camera and being the one to take the pictures and not to be in them. The winter months aren't so bad but here in Texas it's a lot hotter longer than not.

Some of you are probably shaking your heads and wondering how the hell I could discuss this about myself. Well, I can. I've always felt the need to face things I don't like or fear. It's my way of dealing. And if people want to make fun of me or think I'm stupid for doing it this way, so be it. I have a feeling as for those type people they only do that because of their own inner issues they haven't figured out yet. Shame on them for not trying.

So, plastic surgery. Anyone ever done it, thought about it or is curious like me? Me? Any work done would be minimal. I've already spoken to a local doctor this time last year about it. He says it's pretty much surface stuff that needs to be taken care of, nothing major at all. And I've taken my time in reading up on procedures, looking at pictures, articles and anything else I can find out about this stuff. To me, it's a personal choice. My choice, no one elses. If it makes me feel just a TAD bit better about myself then so be it.

Now, do I want a bunch of things done? No. I was thinking I would have to undergo a tummy tuck to fix my most worrysome area. Not at all. It would be a partial dealing only with surface skin and nothing else. Leaving behind only a small scar. As for the boob area, lol, this is still something I'm thinking about. So many problems dealing with implants and I've had a relative that had a severe time that almost killed her. I've heard that having medical problems like this is hereditary so I may just fix what I have. And while I'm having those two things done I may have a spot here or an area there cleaned up a bit. I'm not doing this to wear hooker clothes or run around acting like a wild woman. I want to be able to take my shirt off while wearing a cute 2 piece and swim with my family when they jump in the water. I want to wear shorts that are shorter then mid thigh to knee length. I want to pass by the mirror after getting out of the shower and not reach for the towel as fast as I can. Stuff like that...

Comments

jenn said…
Done the boob thing, as you know. The recovery was PAINFUL! But, I don't know if the same applies for having more added, but having some (okay, a lot) taken was hard.

I will say, though, that the way I feel now about myself, physically and psychologically, was worth the pain. So worth it. In fact, I keep asking myself why I waited so long to have it done. It's funny how one procedure changed me so much. I am going to wear a bathing suit in front of people this year, and I am not stressing about it. I bought a new one...it's not skimpy by any means...and it's actually a little big in the boob area! This completely cracks me up, because I am so used to overflowing everything I used to wear.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this, and that's great. It is a personal decision, and if it helps you feel better about yourself, go for it!

By the way, I think you are absolutely beautiful just the way you are :)
Dawn said…
You know, that I am 'patiently' waiting to hear from my insurance company on plastic surgery. *sigh* My surgeon sent my paper work to the wrong PO BOX !!!!!!! So, MY pictures and paperwork got into somebody else's hands. lol

I know you are beautiful inside and out. But, I also know how I see myself after I get out of the shower and see myself in pictures. I don't like it! But, I have lost over 200 lbs. and my body will never be the same. :( That is ok... I am still alive.. but have a 'road' map all over my belly of stretch marks and my upper arms have bat wings of saggy skin. I have tried the gym for a LONG time... but once the skin has been stretch so far.. there is no rebounding.... lol

Don't get down... Get rid of the mirror !! :)

I love reading what you write.. you are such an inspiration and you really touch my heart !! *HUGS*
Crystal said…
Jenn, Has all ur pain gone away? I know ur procedure was major compared to what I want done. And thank you for the sweet compliment. I hope anyone reading this realises that it is not my choice to make me "more" of what I already am. Nor to be something that i'm not. My teens and twenties and half of my thirties are gone. There is NO ONE out there that I want to impress in that way. Yes, it's ALWAYS nice and fun to impress the one you are in love with. And I plan on being with him for many more years to come. I'm not looking to see the old me before I had kids. I want to see the old me that has grown up to be an adult that even though is having the time of her life, wants to think and analyze less about myself and more on enjoying things on a different level. And yes, I think u and I Jenn know what the other is trying to convey. And like I said, hubin loves me just the way I am. He supports any choice I make and I so love that about him :)
Crystal said…
Dawn, aw, thank you sweetie! U all know that I just voice what I feel and how I see things. If it helps you, GREAT!!! And ur progress is AWESOME!!! It is TOUGH to accomplish what u have and the benifits are amazing! Better health mentally and physically! And hopefully sometime really soon all that headache paperwork and insurance will get straight and u can do what makes YOU feel better!
jenn said…
Crystal ~ most of my pain is gone...the only weird thing that lingers is that my boobs hurt when it's going to rain. Go ahead and laugh...Junior does all the time! lol!
Crystal said…
Jenn, SERIOUSLY?!?! Oh hell girl. Well, at least u always know when to carry ur umbrella!!!!
Dawn said…
lol Crystal... about the umbrella!!

Jenn... I am sorry that you have experienced that pain. I am waiting for approval for breast reduction. If approved, my insurance company will pay 90%. Fingers and toes are crossed ! :)
jenn said…
Dawn ~ they removed 15 pounds of breast tissue, and I had hundreds of stitches from my sides under my arms all the way around. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced...worse than labor! BUT, looking back, it was worth every second of it because i feel so much better now. I hope you are approved for yours.
Dawn said…
Jenn... I am VERY large busted!! I won't tell you (lol). My surgeon will remove more than you had removed. *sigh* Painful ?!?!? I didn't know that and the people who I know that have had it done, one person said it was very painful. But, for me.. it has to be done. I go to the chiropractor every week. My upper back just kills me.

I will be 47 this month... 'when' I get approved... fingers are crossed... This will be my best hear EVER !!!!!

Thanks for sharing with me!
Jenny said…
I love your honesty, Crystal. I despise smarm in dealing with any subject and I find you refreshingly smarm-free.

As to plastic surgery ... I would most certainly do it. Whatever it takes. We live one time ... and as women we have the right to feel as good about ourselves as is humanly possible. The only thing that stops me is, I simply can't afford it. But if I could ... yes. A thousand times yes.

But whatever you do ... know that you ARE a beautiful woman just like your husband says. If the man who loves you, loves you just because you're you and thinks you're the hottest thing going ... go a little easier on yourself. Allow yourself the luxury of believing him.

I struggle with this. I work hard to look good but I'm 53; I bore four children. Some very discouraging things go with that territory. My husband (of 31 years) still affirms to me every day that I'm the woman of his dreams. He has yet to kick me out of bed ... on the contrary. That's heady stuff ... but like you, when I look in the mirror I sometimes despair.

There's no remedy for aging ... the only alternative is death. As women who have enjoyed youth and are passing into different stages in our journey, it's hard sometimes not to look back and grieve. Fight that! Look forward and rejoice.

God bless you, Crystal!
jenn said…
Dawn ~ I wish you the best! My advice...when the time comes, don't skip a dose of the pain pills for at least the first week. Once you feel the pain, it's hard not to feel it. Oh, and my back hurt ALL THE TIME before. I even had grooves in my shoulders where my bra straps dug in because my boobs were so heavy. The back relief was INSTANT and wonderful! I hope that you are able to have it done. And I hope it makes you feel as good as I do now!

Hey Crystal...sorry for hijacking your comments! lol!
Crystal said…
JenniferW, Well congrat to you both on lasting 31 and I wish you 31 more. And thank you for the compliment. Like I stated in my very first post last week, we only care enough to skim the surface if it's not dealing with ourselves and that's a very sad thing. It seems like the years fly by and we grow so distant with one another. And like with this post, no one wants to talk about it even though they may have 100's of questions or secretly want to do it but don't becasue of what others think. Bah! That's why I'm here. I love talking and writing and i'm glad u enjoyed the post. I look forward to getting to know u and speaking with u again :)

Jenn, That's ok girlie!!!! That's how making new friends happens;o)
JunieRose2005 said…
Crystal,

I admire your openness and honesty, too- and it's very new to the blogging world-I mean, this getting into subjects -in-depth-and really having discussions about subjects of interest!

Truth is, I have always been a bit disappointed with the nature of blogging, as it involves such casual contact and interaction with people.

I think I felt that way because ,before blogging, I spent a lot of time on several different message forums. In that situation people actually talk and carry on the thread, sometimes for long periods of time.

I approached my blog in the same way by usually commenting on comments left to me! :) Lol- But I soon realized that most people don't do blogs that way and seldom came back to read any follow-up comments I had made! :)

....Anyway- as to your subject here...( sorry, I got off track! :) )

Plastic surgery is not something I would be inclined to do, but then, I never had any problems that I considered severe enough to require it, so under some circumstances I'm sure I'd want to do whatever was needed.

I'm all for doing whatever to improve one's self confidence and health, and if a procedure would help, I say- "go for it."


Junie
Crystal said…
Junie, Thanks girlie! Mom always said that I talked too much and when I use to tell stories to my parents one or the other would try falling out of their chair from all the long windedness, lol!

I love talking about everything and nothing at all. If u have a subject u'd like to share tell me and we will!!!

Popular Posts