What color is this rainbow?

Minimize the amount of people in your life that take from your spirit many times more than they add to your soul....

Good words to live by if I do say so myself. How many out there have followed these words and came through the other side living a simpler and happier life? I know I have. I guess you can categorize it as givers and takers. I picked up today's topic from a cousin of mine. I guess she was having a not so good day and had been dealing with the negative side of this discussion. I do believe there isn't a person out there that hasn't dealt with this. But, my question is, how long does it take before we do something about it.

Me? Well, after figuring out a few hard life lessons of my own, not long. I'd like to think of myself as a simple minded person with a complex heart. That might sound like a double standard but think about it. I love the simple things. I don't own much but what I do have is very important to me. Just like the people I share my life with. There isn't that many but they mean the world to me. Why is that? Good question. Growing up I only had one friend that new every secret that was in my heart. Don't get me wrong, I had tons of social friends but only one that I trusted. Most times than not, I rule with my heart and not my head so there is more times than not that I complicate my own life... without the help of others.

It's hard to know who the givers and takers are. Some people give you honest trust and some give you false hope for something better than what you have at the moment. A pessimist would categorize it like this: Hunters and prey. Some you can spot within the first meeting and some can finally see through the blinders after 50 years. Hopefully we get better at "seeing" people as we age. But why is this? Are some just too nice or too needy themselves to let go even knowing time and time again that they've gotten mistreated. And all the while the takers are happy to oblige them. Or, happy to hang on until they spot new prey to take advantage of in some form. Whether it be emotional or material things they are centering on.

Since we are all individually different, meaning even with similarities no two people are the same, even "givers and takers" can be broken down until it confuses even the most intelligent person out there. I can be a giving person with a takers outlook or a taker with a givers heart. Think about it for a moment. A person can give and give and actually mean it but somewhere along the way there is an internal "catch" to what you thought was so freely given. Those are the harder ones to spot.

Or what about the takers that don't realise they take? I've seen this dealing a lot more with emotion than material things. They have emotion, they express and give emotion but then on some level they need it to survive. Almost like the unknowingly demand it. Some of this is hard to explain. I know what I'm thinking but like I always tell my guy...sometimes it doesn't always come out the same way;o) Welcome to my world.

So, it's like this. We've got givers, takers, hunters and prey. They are both the same thing. But, we can always mix them up like with everything else. Hunters can be givers and takers can be prey. It's all in how you see or view things and what you can get out of it. Question remains though...how long does it take to recognise when you yourself are using or being used. Ah, another pair to throw into the pot. Use-e or use-er. There's all different colors to this rainbow. But in the end how can you tell if the pot of gold will help or harm you....Good question that we're all trying to figure out. It just takes some more time than others.

Comments

Donna said…
I think I'm a take-ee...Now Give it to me!! Now!!Lolol...
Lub u baby...good post!
hughugs
Crystal said…
Lol, ur a DORK!!!!!!
Dawn said…
WOW... makes you think !! I think I remember who your friend was.

I had a BFF that new everything about me!! Guess what ?!?!? She had an affair with my ex-husband !! Gawd....

I have learned a lot through my life. Great post !! :)
jenn said…
My rainbow is all purple. Yup, just purple, because that makes me happy. :)

You know Junior and I have walked away from a lot over the last couple of years, and we are so much better off after doing so. I get what you're saying, and you said it well.

Popular Posts