You is kind... You is smart... You is important...

I watched one of the best movies I've seen to date this weekend. I liked it so much I watched it twice. Once by myself in which I laughed, cried and outwardly cussed the TV while the movie played. The next day, Sunday, Tim wanted to watch it so I did so with him again.

Wow. You ever watch a movie that right from the beginning u connect and relate with? Yeah, this movie did it for me. It's like when I laughed, I laughed at the scene in the movie and when I cried I was thrown back to a situation I could compare it to and when I got angry I didn't just get angry because of the movie but the real life tragedy that was really lived and more than likely much, much worse.

After Tim and I watched the movie he said it really did make him think. I agreed with him telling him that if it were me I would have that big ol house, be the outcast, have all the maids live with me so they WOULD be part of my family whether they worked for me or not and I would be the rebel of the community. Tim tried telling me that no, I wouldn't because if I lived back then I would have been raised to believe something different than I do now based on a different time and upbringing. I took a second to think about what he said and then told him no, I wouldn't. Maybe it's something I don't know how to explain, something that is just inside me somewhere that knows but even being raised back in those times, I wouldn't have stood for it or from anyone that I knew. I would help anyway I could and then try harder if I couldn't.

By the end of the movie I was wanting Hilly to eat about 100 more of Minnie's "special" pies and then beat the hell out of her myself. When Aibileen Clark told Hilly,  "You are a godless woman" I was squirming all over the bed yelling, "Hell yeah, she is!" (The first time I watched it.) When Elizabeth Leefolt laid her hand on that sweet child, Mae Mobley, I wanted to do very bad things to her but when Aibileen told her, "You is Kind. You is smart. You is important"  I just cried and cried. And then I cried some more when she said it again and walked away.

If you've seen this movie and weren't touched or moved in some form or another you need to watch it again without disturbance and really let this movie take you. It took me and did a fine job of reminding me of my own beliefs and morals of life and how I live it. Back then, living in Jackson, I probably would have been beaten or killed for my beliefs but man, I would have given them hell before I went. Especially the Hilly's of this world. Oh the internal anger that builds just thinking of people like that gets my blood up every time. I just don't know if I would have been as classy enough as Aibileen was just to quietly say my peace and walk away. 

But, none the less I wouldn't have accepted societies way of thinking if I lived in that time. And then I think to myself, I don't live back then. There is, was and always be a reason that I was born in the now that I live. And it's my own family and friends and the stranger I see wronged that I fight aggressively for. My time is now and I can only mentally hurt for the pasts' ugliness that has gone on. There is too much ugliness in the now and sadly, will be in the future as well.  As for watching The Help, Tim also had it on the Military channel in which they showed a step by step account of the Nazi concentration camps. From the Jews capture all the way to their deaths. Blessed be..There is hate and has been hate in the world. I guess we're suppose to have hate and meanness in the world, maybe to balance everything out.  I don't understand it but with everything in me and my own little piece of the world where I live I will not just stand by while someone hurts or is harmed. I may cause some hurt in my life but it's not out of pure hatred or meanness. It's out of too much emotion and I think there is a big difference.

So, for this blog I can only say that if you haven't seen The Help, go see it. I hope it touches you as strongly as it did me. I could go on and open up this post to lead into more subjects to talk about but I'll save that for another day. For now, live as best you can, stay strong in your beliefs of a better life for everyone and love more than you hate. God's always watching when man isn't...

Comments

Donna said…
It Was good huh?!!
Proud of you babydoll...
mammy
Jenny said…
I haven't seen it yet but I plan to. Merry Christmas, Crystal!!
Sally said…
I watched it this past weekend also. You hit the nail on the head in your synopsis.

I can remember back when I was about six, and we had a lady that came in to help. The first day, she fixed lunch; set the table, and started to go eat hers on the back steps; my mom said "We want you to eat here at this table with us." I think it was the first time she had been invited, and it tickled her pink, That is one lesson I learned from my mother I've never forgotten and makes me proud of her as well for the way she raised us.

Good for you, Crystal; this post was outstanding. ((hugs))
Crystal said…
Mammy, Yes it was!! ;)

Jenny, Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

Sally Girl, YAY FOR MOMMA!!!!!!! Oh that gave me goose bumps! SO glad there are still loving people in this crazy world! And glad she passed it on to YOU!!!

Popular Posts