What does strength mean to you?

Well, seems I've fell and hit my head because this is the second post for today. I don't normally do that very much seeing as how I don't even blog on a daily basis. But, this afternoon after I got back from lunch with mom, I was on facebook when I made a comment to a friend that I haven't seen since I was 21. Many years have passed us both by and our lives went different ways, connections lost. She doesn't speak hardly ever and doesn't really respond to comments or messages so I was very surprised that she actually responded to my comment.

Sometimes when going through difficult things I will normally withdraw. I won't speak too much on what's bothering me and won't bring it up to too many people, if anyone, until I can figure things out for myself. Sometimes, and dealing with the issue, I do. I'll ramble off idea's or thoughts that go through my head and figure things out that way. I am figuring out that I do the latter when dealing with others and the first, when dealing with myself. And, I just figured this out because of my conversation with my childhood friend. Funny the things we can learn, even when it's not our issues we're talking about.

Anyway, I got to talking to her and as we talked she replied back something that gave me pause. She called me a strong woman. My first thought was that, no, I'm far from strong but as I was replying back and reading her comments I realised more why she said it. There's many forms of strength. We can all be strong in some area of our lives and not in others. To me, it's like I can only be as strong as my greatest life changing experience. Having strength and being weak is something I deal with on a daily basis. I always go back to the old saying that knowledge is power. When understanding anything we grow more in who we are and what life is throwing at us. We are not a stupid society, we just lack the determination to better our future by working on what's important. Personal growth.

To me, my own personal growth has opened up so many new doors. I have a new attitude towards life. I see people differently than I did before. I try to take life a lot slower than I once did. Always in a hurry to get to the next day, week, month, year, situation, experience. Now that a little bit of happiness has found me, I try to not look too much into the future. Why? So I don't miss what's right in front of me. I call that a personal strength. My weakness is that I sometimes fail at it. Again, life happens and throws at us some very complex and quizzical things that leaves me falling on my butt while asking myself what the hell do I do now. When this happens I'll normally go to my husband, mom or dad or just think on things a while, dealing on the issue. And even if all they can do for me is say things will get better, that's better than what I had in the beginning.

Most times, people just need to be reassured that there is still hope. To have faith that there is something better out there waiting for them. Or, if dealing with ones already made life, hope and faith that all is not what it seems and the rough road they are on will soon smooth out so they can get back on track. It's when people go within themselves while still listening to negativity or remembering it from the past where we stop ourselves dead. We complicate things ourselves, no need for others help when we're doing a good enough job screwing things up on our own. Will this thought process answer all our questions we're dealing with? No. It will help to get things started in the right direction though. After that, it's up to us to find the answers we need by researching. Asking questions, listening to others we trust most not to lead us astray. Time heals as well. And even though we aren't guaranteed it, it's still there for us to use if we want more than what we have now.

So, that's what I learned today. Guess I better get back to life and what's in front of me. And as we speak it's two hungry looking kids;)

Comments

Jenny said…
If I did not have the Lord as my strength, I do believe I would have died a long time ago. I am so thankful for His faithfulness to me.
Donna said…
....you are my rock...
(((HUG)))
Dawn said…
She is my rock, too !! :)
Sheri said…
How funny! Love this post. Especially like the list.

Popular Posts