Prom

Just a peak at her Prom Dress.

So...Sam and I had a shopping day planned for when I got home after work. Prom dress shopping no less. Samantha is turning 17 next week and so this shopping trip was a little bit more surreal than even me facing up to the fact that she turned 16 last year, got her license, started driving, began dating and got her own job.

I guess there's something about that 16th year that just flies by where you're not paying attention to it and then she's going to her first formal prom and turning 17. And seeing her try on a formal dress? She came out of the dressing room with only trying on one single dress but it was that one dress that made all the difference and had me taking one look at her and thanking God above that he put that bench I just fell on, behind me to actually "catch" my reaction. It could have been Sam walking out in a damn wedding dress, it hit me that hard.

She's not that little skinny long haired drama queen walking out of the dressing room in the kids section trying on that cute summer dress I want her 9 year old self to wear this season. She sure as heck isn't 5 years old walking out of the bathroom from trying on an outfit I picked up from the local mall. And she is definitely not the little baby I just laid on the bed to change her into something else I just bought and thought she would look lovely in. And she won't ever be again, in my belly while I try on something to flatter the belly I had carried her in all those months. Rubbing my belly from time to time thinking of the time when it will be her turn to experience special moments throughout the years.

Life just happens, doesn't it? My little girl really is becoming a woman. I remember at least 10 years ago looking down at her while she was sleeping in her bed, wondering how much she would change in her height and features. Would she be as tall as the doctor says she will. Will she have trouble with her weight. Will her hair get darker. Will she be more confident in her own mind and skin. And I found myself looking forward, wanting those years to hurry up and get here so I could find out. Well, didn't fate just give me what I wanted...

I know she'll still change just a little but I now know that she won't be as tall as the doctor said, reaching almost 6 foot. If she has anymore growing to do I see her reaching no more than about 5' 5" at the most. Her features are very striking and with her love of high lights will stay blond for many years to come unless she gets brave later on and decides to go darker. And the way this child can fix her hair? Well, all I can say is that I don't wish to know anymore than I do today. I can wait for the weddings and babies and the moving away. I can wait for the broken hearts and stress of living her own life away from me. But..I do have to say I can't wait until she starts cooking for herself and what she ends up learning to make. Because if it isn't a bowl of cereal, PB & J or scrambled eggs I'm going to literally bust out laughing when she calls needing me like I needed and still do, my parents to tell me how to cook.

So, for now, I'll take her and growing up, one moment at a time. And I'm going to make sure that...I as well as her, have the time of my life making these sweet ever lasting memories....

Comments

Donna said…
Oh yeah...now you can see what I saw...MY Babygirl, all grown up...
I love you...
mammy
Jenny said…
All I can say is, I remember so well the day Stephanie stood in her beaded column evening gown for her first prom (this was in 1997). She looked like a princess and I could hardly breathe. Four years later she married the young man who took her to that prom, and any day now she'll give birth to their third child. All I did was turn around and blink a few times, and all of that happened!!! So gird your loins girl, it's going to be a blur and a few noises, and then voila, you'll be a grandmother. But I will tell you this: NOTHING can prepare you for the moment you see your baby in a wedding dress. Nothing at all, don't even go there. I wish your Sam and you every happiness for all the years you have together.
Crystal said…
Jenny-Well hell Jenny you just make me start tearing up reading this, lol! Thank you. I just remember mom telling me..."one day you will understand." And now here we are...and i'm starting to...

Love you too MAMMY!!!
Sally said…
So very sweet. Now dang it, I have tears in my eyes too. Time is illusive. Hang on to every precious moment with your baby girl. And, keep being the wonderful mom you are, Crystal.

Love to you all.
Dawn said…
I think you need to chaperone prom !! :) We had chaperone's at ours all the way through high school. Just sayin !! :)

Sam definitely got your beautiful traits !! :)

Can't wait to see prom pictures of she and JT !! :)

Popular Posts