Pennies for Patients

Every year our schools do the Pennies for Patients Marathon. For three whole weeks the kids go around collecting as much change as they can get their hot little hands on and turn it all in to their school. All the monies go to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and I think this is just the greatest cause.

I personally lost someone to Leukemia when I was growing up. He was my first ever real live boyfriend, lol! He had such a sweet spirit and I don't remember him ever getting mad about anything. His parents were really good friends with my parents and so we were always doing something. I remember our mothers picking us up from school together, always on the phone to one another, over each others homes and he had an older brother that was good friends with mine so we got to spend a lot of time together.

He loved dove hunting, baseball, was a hard core Texas Longhorn fan, loved riding go carts and was a self taught gymnast on a trampoline. Oh, and he was a pint sized pool shark. I do remember one day, after he was diagnosed and going through some intense treatments, that he was allowed to come back to school. We were both in the 6th grade by this time and I got out of class to go get paper work for my teacher from the office. On my way back I saw him in the Library crying. As soon as I noticed him and stopped he turned to see me and told me to come in. As I walked up to him he was bent slightly over one of the tables. A nurse was just behind him getting something that I couldn't see and while I walked up to him I asked what was wrong. He said that he was fixing to get one of his "shots" and could he hold my hand while he go it.

I never knew what kind of "shot" that was because it really didn't matter. He was scared and I was scared for him. I had never seen him cry. I can remember even way back then thinking that if I held his hand and it made it better that whatever was in that shot would work and he wouldn't be sick anymore. He smiled a little and then received his shot and even though tears fell, he didn't outwardly cry. For the few seconds it took I repeated that it was OK. Afterwards, he slowly stood as much as he could and hugged me telling me thanks. I told him that if he needed me to do it again I was there and he laughed saying OK. I went back to class and I couldn't think of anything else but why someone couldn't fix what was wrong. Little minds and big questions...

He went into remission soon after that and I remember feeling like my holding his hand saved his life, lol! Now, looking back, I smile when I remember how proud of myself I was, lol! Anyway, within the next year his cancer came back and claimed his sweet, sweet spirit. I remember sitting in science class we all got to write letters to him while he was in the hospital. I remember mom coming into my room to tell me that he didn't make it, sitting on my bed, holding me while we both cried. It's been so many years that's gone by and still, I remember him.

We also had a mutual friend that hung out with us too back in those days. I remember a group of us all got to be dropped off at the mall for the day and we all walked, ate, shopped and played video games. When this friend of mine grew up and got married she had a little boy about the same time when I had Sam. They went to the same daycare and I remember the last time we saw her little boy, Hunter, was at Target. The poor angel had been battling cancer himself and was temporarily released from the hospital. He was to receive a bone marrow transplant that was suppose to help him. He was too sick by the time he went in and his body just couldn't take it. He passed quickly and quietly with all of his family right by his side.

I attended the funeral alone. Once there, Mindy found me and we sat along with a packed church of hundreds and cried right along with the family. As soon as the grave site service was over I called in and took the rest of the day off. Crying because of this little boy and for him, I sped to the daycare and grabbed up my own child. I stood in the entry way holding her tightly and just cried. Sam not understanding just held on. Later, after we got home and she attended to wiping the water off my face, lol, she asked why I had been crying. I just told her that sometimes things happen in life that slam into your own world and make you realise what you have. That she was my sweet baby girl and she was the most precious thing in my life. Well, that got me a huge hug and lots of giggles.

The loss of life is tremendous, no matter what the cause. This cause means a lot to me because the memories I share with others who have lost friends or loved ones but it hugely makes my heart smile when I see my own child show such interest in something that helps so much. Even one single penny can make a big difference. I know Williams heart. Yes, he may just want to be the winning class that gets a party but I know, from experience, that he always tries to help in some way when someone is feeling down or sick. He has such a kindhearted spirit and am so glad God chose me to care for him.

William's class, so far has raised 69.08 in the last 3 days. Of that, William has donated 36.79 of that. My mom saw the post I put on his teachers Facebook and got so tickled that Will was so into this marathion that she donated 85 dollars today for William to give. Will had wanted me to ask her today if she had any spare change. He'll be thrilled to learn that she scraped some up for him to give. But more importantly I think mom remembers her own memories of cancer and how it's played a roll in her memory. Allowing her kind hearted grandson to be the mailman of money to give the chance at life for many who are fighting for it.

If there is ever a time to help someone, just because, please do it. A penny, a hug or maybe even just a  smile. In the end, it all helps someone else live just a little bit longer...

Comments

Sally said…
Oh, Crystal, this really tugs at my heart. My very best girlfriend from all those years together growing up, passed away in 2002 with Leukemia. She fought like the dickens, and was one of the bravest people I've ever known. I spent the last night in the hospital with her in a coma, and she passed away about an hour after I left. I was very blessed to have that time with her, and talked to her all night not knowing if she could hear me or not. She had diabeties, and was overweight so she wasn't able to get a bone marrow transplant.

It's difficult to see anyone suffer with this tragic illness, and I can only imagine losing a child with Leukemia.

It's a wonderful thing your schools are doing! I'm going to send this post to one of my blog buddies whose job it is in Connecticut to raise awareness and funds for the Leukemia Society in her state.

Thank you for, once again, showing us your beautiful heart, and those of your children. Good luck, Will!!

((hugs))
Donna said…
Beautiful post Babydoll.... I love you....
Mammy
Dawn said…
It is a beautiful post !! Your Mom is a beautiful person as you are too, Crystal. Go Will !! :)

Popular Posts