Overkill in communication

This is a question that's been on my mind all morning. Can you "overkill" communication? We all know that the more we communicate the better our relationships with others will be but can we communicate too much while bettering our growth in this area?

I find myself reflecting all the time past conversations with others. Whether it be through talk, email, texting, blogging and even Facebooking. Reflecting or more truthfully said, analyzing everything.

Anyone that really knows me knows that I can talk with the best of them or say very few words depending on the topic, situation or even based on my mood. Talk to me first thing in the morning and your not going to get to much of a conversation. I have finally admitted to myself that even though I am or can be an early riser, I am not a morning person. After my day gets started and I've had some time by myself to just "be" my mind starts to wake up and then working. I find that if anyone calls me having an issue with something it takes me longer to get my mind on track to communicate. Not that I can't, just that it takes me longer. I listen to what's being said but I find that I do my best communication later in the day or evening. This is where things get interesting. Give me time to think on things and I can come up with a novel to say. Man, if I could only put pen to paper and get it published sometimes I think being an author should have been my profession.

Now, this is where my question comes in. Say someone communicates to me and has an issue dealing with something they are going through. As with the hubin I can talk about things all day long and somewhere in the hour after hour of communication there lies my point I've tried to convey to him. Is all the "extra stuff" even needed? If he has a question, I'll answer and then may add in thoughts about it, my own feelings about it, past issues that I've gone through on the issue being discussed and on and on it goes. Is all of it really needed? I know for the hubin he'll normally tell me if he doesn't want to hear something or maybe he lets me ramble just to not hurt my feelings.

Just like with this blog post. Should I have just asked the question and not went any further? Can it be a bad thing to elaborate on things? And if you do go on to do it does it make you look like a know it all or pictures you as being on your proverbial soap box being all Holier than thou? And speaking of which. it says in the good book only give your opinion if it's asked of you. I've found that going through certain things or dealing with certain people that this can't always be done. My kids do something they shouldn't they aren't going to ask my opinion or even want to hear it but guess what..they will.

I guess just add this to the list of things to work on on a daily basis. Quit elaborating on things. People don't always want to know every little thing plus 100 other things that may have to deal with the situation at hand. I guess if they do want to know still tell them but keep things short and sweet and if they want to know anything else I guess they'll ask. And see? That brings up people not really wanting to know about others anymore. People don't care how you dressed when you were growing up. If you were the cool, fat, shy, pretty, ugly, skinny kid back in high school. They don't care how many bad relationships it took to finally change bad habits enough to get one right or even what you think about late at night when you can finally get some time to slow down enough to. Favorite colors, things that make you smile, what your opinions are about different things, whatever.

Like I posted a while back, we skim the surface of ourselves and others just enough to only think we know someone. Enough to say, "hey, I know her. I know how he/she feels or would react to something. Likes, dislikes. What makes someone sad, happy, cry or angry. Will a smile help. Will a hug do instead of words. Will time and distance make things clear or does it take holding someones hand while they talk while you only listen or does it take elaborating until you're blue in the face in hopes that something you've said will get through to the other person. When just to shut the hell up and hope for the best. Lol!

Yes, I think and analyze too much. I know my kids will tell me OKAY MOM! When they are tired of hearing me talk. Most adults won't though. Funny thing about kids that really isn't all that bad is that they can and will be brutally honest whether they know it or not and you're feeling like you just got slapped in the face or punched in the gut. And I guess I can always just come here and vent or elaborate until I'm blue in the face and ready to pass out. Good thing about blogs is that the blogger can write forever and the reader can quit reading anytime they like. I use to often wonder if people that read my posts even made it to the end. Reading every single word trying to get what I was saying. These days, not so much. Seeing as how this blog is a way to let out some of the "hot air" it may help in my conversations with others.

And I guess I answered my own question in a way. You can overkill communication.

To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others....

Comments

Donna said…
...I can't think of anything to say.... ;o)
mammy
Dawn said…
haha, Donna !! :) You made me stop and think !! :)
Unknown said…
Great BLOG today...as for me I need an overkilled communication, if words are short and sweet and to the point, I am like wth? I need more!!! Those around me are probably like shut the heck up! Takes all kind! How quiet would the world be without over killers!!!lol
Crystal said…
Mom..ur a Dork. U know the only time ur like that is when UR blotting, lol!!!

Dawn, don't let her fool u. She has PLENTY to say!!

Aubrey, I know girl. That's probably why I talk so dang much cause everyone else doesn't say as much as I do, lol!!
Sally said…
I can relate, Crystal, as I used to "overkill communication" and over 'thought' too much stuff. The older I got (and I AIN'T that danged old) I decided to listen more and that way I could tell what the other person really needed from me.

You are a great philosopher (sp) on life, and I LOVE reading what you have to say!! :)
Crystal said…
Mom told me yesterday that I seriously need to start writing novels but like I tell her, I can't ever come up with anything as soon as I sit down. I'll just turn my blog into a novel, lol!
Sally said…
You could easily do that, Crystal - turn the blog into a book!! :)

Popular Posts