What a WEEK i'm having!

I swear, only God himself could pair my mom with me as parent and child. Most days we're both looking at each other wondering who the hell the adult is and who is the child, lol! She cracks me up to no end most days and gets on my nerves the other days. The title to this blog is a one liner that mom loves from way back to the movie called Splash with Tom Hanks. The "evil" scientist guy is trying to capture the mermaid and can't seem to get a leg up or have a good week and at the end when he's pretty much in a full body cast he says those words, lol! Oh, I've had a few of those myself but I think everyone has.

Today on my Facebook I posted about being thankful for having old friends and memories. Going back down memory lane with my oldest friend Mindy has been a blast. And to say that we can just think of some crazy scheme or stupid stunt or repeat the same shenanigan story over and over makes me smile and bust out laughing every damn time. Oh the stories we have of our misguided but fun, never boring, oh how in the hell did we make it through it all hoodlum days.

From me driving by a dog laying on the side of the road trying to get it to get up and get away from being run over to Mindy laughing her arse off that it was already dead Crystal, it's NOT gettin up!!! To bar room brawls, as Mindy would like to say. Yes, I was the star in that one to telling off coaches, a parent and lets not forget out in the school parking lot where me and the ol vice principle getting into it because in his words, my poor choice of hoodlum friends.

I've always been friends with everyone and if I didn't know you I was still nice if I ran into you. Don't tell me that who I choose to hang around with will only drag me down and give me a reputation of being another "bad kid" when I made all A's and B's, was in some form of sport, didn't cause any trouble and my only vice at the time was my friend and his issues he was having with the school attendant. I'll nail you every time and don't care who you are, what sport I'm representing or who my parents are. Sorry guys but I guess I'll always route for the underdog because it seems that the guy that is spouting all of this off is always better. I will prove you wrong too whether it be in word or action. Period. That's just how I've always looked at things. Looking back though we all laugh about it. I've talked to the vice principle many times and we've talked about our parking lot encounter and had one hell of a good laugh. Youth, standing it's ground...

Oh there is quite a bit that I can't believe I did. Mindy and I both. We were drinkers and smokers. Bad mouthed and loud. But we were never mean to anyone and always pretty much stayed with each other. Times where we would go to parties to see everyone else drunk while we walked through and left and still we were carrying our Dr Pepper's and still could walk a straight line. There's mean people out there and even though we tried liking everyone, everyone didn't like us. I got kicked off the cheerleading squad and volleyball team for that little walk through and every member of the football team and cheerleaders were there doing things they shouldn't and I got "blamed."

To say I was pissed was an understatement compared to how my mom took it. She was livid. Went up there and everything, raising all sorts of hell. I can't remember if I wanted her to stick up for me or not. I just remember being so pissed and betrayed that I learned that it wasn't worth being around a group of people that I couldn't trust to have my back or defend me. No one came forward to vouch that Mindy and I were not drinking or smoking. Why? Because then they would have to admit guilt. Why not get rid of the black sheep and get on with things right? I went in to discuss the situation and the cheerleading coach wanted me to admit to "what I did." I think I told her to shove it and walked out. That wasn't an organization I wanted to represent. I became a cheerleader because I loved the gymnastics and couldn't stand the snobby clicks so hey, what better way to do what I enjoyed everyday and disperse the snob group at the same time?

Anyway, another day, another story. So many to tell and so fond of each of them. The good ones and the bad ones. I look at my daughter who will be turning 16 in 3 months and how head strong and defiant she can be. She is a lot like her mother even though she would rather swallow worms than admit it but I see it. Talking about old times always throws you back to how you once were. She is me all those years ago. And even though she could REALLY learn to curb the ol mouth and attitude I wouldn't change a thing about her.

She's her dad's daughter too for sure. She can debate and argue a rock and win while I'll be left stuttering finally coming up with a good come back weeks later, lol! She's smarter though than I was. Where I was just "winging it" at her age she is already and has been thinking about her future, kids, marriage, life. I didn't and maybe I should have but looking back I can't say that I would change a thing. I love what I have now and if that high school hoodlum would have done it differently my life or the lives of people that I love wouldn't have the same lives either. We all play an important part in each others lives. And I like who is in my life now. Whether it still be that spunky freckly faced new girl I became life long friends with or the husband I plan to be with for as long as he'll have me we all need the memories of our youth and we all need to reflect on them as much as possible. Raising kids of your own depends on it. Promise.......

Comments

Sally said…
Love this post! "swallow worms" LOLOLOL!!!!!

I like that you stand your ground, and that your mom stands up for you. One time, my mom was snooping in my room and found a letter my next door neighbor had written to me - 'cause she wasn't invited to a party I went to, she wrote that I had been at a "boys & girl's drinking" party. LOL Well, my mom after reading that, came to my school, snatched me out and made me go talk to my minister. He thought it was a hoot, and we sat in there laughing while Mom sat in the hot car. Yeah, I've got some good memories also, and I'm SO glad that you do!

Popular Posts