Letting Go

Ya know? It's hard letting go sometimes. Not always, but most times we form such strong attachments. Material things, people and even things we can't touch or speak to. Like social networking sites. I have been thinking of deleting my Facebook for some time now but have not gotten around to it yet. Still haven't but I received a very encouraging email this morning that prompted me in the right direction. At least, for me. Well, me and my daughter who doesn't know it yet. That'll be a joy to go through but I think it's time.

We get way too caught up in everyone else's lives and then there again, what we are getting caught up in is so impersonal and mundane. I favored FB because of the pictures that I could post and see of friends. Getting idea's that I could play with or whatever. I've noticed the younger generation (15 - 19) have used social networking in a very negative way. SO much drama being posted and every other minute. Pictures posted as profile pics of girls in nothing but underwear and going out in public like that. What gets me is that we're thinking less and less of ourselves as time goes on. Where in the Hades has self respect and honor gone....

I have a strong feeling that my daughter will not be too happy. The total opposite. She'll be livid. And, maybe she has a right to be. Wasn't it me who allowed her to join up? Why, I think it was. So is this me trying to clean up a mess I made? You bet your sweet sugared butt it is. Better late than never wouldn't you agree? And saying this, I have to stick with it. Poor Sam. I do really feel for ALL first borns. We don't know what we're doing, where we're going wrong and when we do figure things out, years have passed, choices have been changed over and over again and both parents and kids are totally pissed, confused and tired. Lol! Ah, the joys of life;)

As for the adult outlook of Facebook or any social networking site, what works for some, doesn't for others. Most get on and try keeping up with family, out of town friends or people they haven't seen in years. Some have 1000 friends, don't talk to 80 percent of them and some add people they don't even know. Only adding them because "oh she's a babe or he's a stud" and will look SO good on my friends list. And, don't get me started on the people that want to befriend you and even know that you are seeing some one, in a committed relationship and even married and want to "get to know you". I call bull shit on that one and that never turns out well. Yeah, they want to get to know you well enough but I bet they could care less about the significant other...Jus sayin.

As for this topic I could go on and on. I'll cut it short for now. Been a long day and I don't like looking forward to difficult conversations with my kid. She won't see that if by cutting out some of the riff-raff maybe things can get easier in daily life. Like I've told her before..If you you know 1000 "friends" and are always more concerned with them than yourself? Your life will start to deteriorate and the close relationships you once had with others will to. Too much of other peoples drama is not a good thing. But, just keep in mind that seeing as how this is my blog, I only speak of my own personal opinion. I've made more mistakes than the next guy and own every dang one of them. The difference is, I'm just trying to figure it all out...

Comments

Jean-Claude said…
Crystal, you know, cutting off FB might not be a bad idea! I certainly see where you're coming from. I may do the same but I blocked off the ones I didn't want to see their DRAMA anymore. I was so tired of seeing them use such bad language to one another and it was a mother daughter doing it.
Crystal said…
I hear you Jean-Claude. u get so many people together whether it be in person or computer and there is bound to be something said that should have been kept silent. But, for me I guess I just like to write way too much and those wall posts limit you severely, lol! Thank you for ur comment and hope you come back again :)
Sally said…
I've been thinking along the same lines; the only problem I have with cutting off F/B is that I have a couple of cousins who will think "it's all about them, and I left BECAUSE of them." :)

You can bet your 'sugared butt' (I love how you phrase things) I'll be looking forward to many great blogs from you!! You totally rock! :)
JunieRose2005 said…
:) Crystal, left you a long comment in answer to your comment about the poem I posted.(lol- you'll have to visit me again!)

I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying about FB...I had to cut off a nephew because of his disgusting language!

I've always felt more at home with blogging... (You can do so much more with a blog)but so many of my relatives are on FB and so many WILL NOT visit and post on my blog...so I guess I'll have to hang in there, at least for awhile.

I wish you good luck with your talk with your daughter. Teenagers can be hard to deal with. I had some hard times with my two!

Take care,

Junie
jenn said…
I actually use FB for blogging...connecting with and networking with other bloggers...as for my kids, I have access to their profiles, and I monitor. If they have friends that cause trouble (which, thank God has not yet happened) they will have to de-friend them. I may end up deleting their profiles if things ever get too bad, but for now, they are mostly on it to play games.

Good luck talking to Sam. Should i keep an ear out? Think I'll be able to hear ya'll all the way in SC?
Dawn said…
I use FB to connect with old friends. I see your problem with Sam. I hope it all works out. Thinking of you !! *HUGS*
Dawn said…
I use FB to connect with old friends. I see your problem with Sam. I hope it all works out. Thinking of you !! *HUGS*
~Shelly~ said…
As a parent now, I can see why my mom was so overprotective when I was in High School. I think cutting FB is by no means a bad idea.. I just want to throw this ur way and I know u have already thought about it. But if Sam wants to be on FB that bad.. trust me, she will find a way to hide it from u. Whether it be her signing up again on a friends computer & using a different name or whatever, she will most likely find a way. It sucks but I know I did so many things behind my moms back when I was her age, sad to say! So dont be surprised if down the road u find out she has been hiding a secret!

I still think u are doing the right thing. My 14 YEAR OLD 1/2 sister just started talking a guy she doesnt even know on there and invited him to her basketball game. She was LIVID when he didnt show- and thang god he didnt. Her parents do not monitor any of her time of FB which really gets under my skin.

Good luck tho and I cant wait to keep up with u guys thru blogger land :)
Unknown said…
Hope everything turns out!!
Crystal said…
Thanks guys! And Keep on Keepin" on? ME TOO!! Lol!

Popular Posts