Apple Pie Cookies

What you will need: A box of 2 pie crusts, eggs (1-2 will do or use the pre-made as shown above) 1 can of apple filling, caramel topping, nut meg, cinnamon, sugar, wax paper and a rolling pin. (Wax paper, rolling pin and raised cookie screen were optional.)
Get one of the two pie crusts and roll out. I left these out of the fridge for about 20 minutes so they would manipulate better. Get a rolling pin or just use Ur fists and push them outward so they enlarge. U don't really HAVE to do this step. I did it to get more cookies.
Next get Ur caramel topping and spread a light coating all over the crust. Hint: pop the topping in the microwave for about a minute to thin it out for easier spreading.
Next get a plate and dump Ur pie filling onto it. All you have to do is chop them up as small as you want them. I could have gone smaller but I was pressed for time.
Add the chopped up apple filling to the caramel rubbed crust and set aside. HINT: this is why I put my pie crust on wax paper before working on it. That way I could move it if I needed to. If U have a big enough space to work both crusts then no worries about the wax paper.
Now, take out Ur 2nd pie crust and do just as you did with crust one. After you have gotten it to the size of the first get a knife and cut 1/2 inch to 1 inch strips like I've done above. Mine were 1/2 inch.
As shown in the picture, just lay strips across the filling and then when you get to the other side change directions and go the other way. This is called a Lattice and its the easier one to do. Next time I make these and have more time I will try the braided Lattice.
Next, get Ur cookie cutter and dip it in Ur egg wash. To make an egg wash just get 1-2 eggs and scramble them. Dipping Ur cutter in will give you an easier time of not having the crust stick to the cutter while Ur making the cookies and cutting them out. Especially if you have to give it a little turn or two to make sure the cutter went all the way thru.
This is what it should look like when you are done with the cookie cutter. Now, get a spatula, tearing away the edges around each cookie, scoop up each cookie with Ur spatula and place on a greased cookie pan. I use a regular cooking non-stick spray. Next, get a brush (I used the one hubby normally uses for his BBQ sauces so no going out and buying brand new brushes. Dip Ur brush into the egg wash and rub all the crust on top of the filling. It helps to hold in the cinnamon/sugar/nutmeg. Plus, it browns it better. After you have done that get Ur cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on each. HINT: Make a cinnamon/sugar combo and sprinkle that. More even taste and looks better when cooked. Get Ur nutmeg and sprinkle for looks and pop in the preheated oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Here they are after I've pulled them out of the oven.
I scooped mine off the pan and onto this to cool.
You can serve these hot or cold. Eat them by themselves or with ice cream. This WAS NOT a long process. As a matter of fact, I was in an extreme rush. Threw this together quickly in about 15-20 mins. It took longer to bake than it did to make.
ENJOY!!

Comments

Popular Posts